Hello friends! I’m back after a small hiatus, and addiction to the new series on Netflix- The Crown. Now that the holidays are dawning closer each day, it’s time to get shopping! New York City is renowned for it’s street style, flea markets..and yes, sample sale madness. During New York Fashion Week this year one of my best friends Christine and I went to the Nautica Style magazine event and met fashion blogger, supermom, and all around wonderful Michelle at the Nautica Style magazine event. I’ve always been the type of girl to get lucky walking down the street and happen upon a sample sale, but after meeting Le Hoarder, I’ve discovered this is an art. Michelle and I hit a few sample sales together this past week and my favorite thus far was Balenciaga. After a year of living in the city (and making smart friends) I’ve compiled a concise list for newbie sample sailors!
- Ask around, ask the frequent sample sailing (pun intended) whom they follow. My favourite blogs are lehoarder.com (thanks Michelle!) and thefashionsherlock.com
- Join email listings like 260 and sample sale blogs.
- Come early. With lines going out the door for popular sales it’s easy to end up in a line for hours.
- Walk away from things you know you don’t love. While things are heavily discounted, it doesn’t make a bit of sense to buy something you don’t actually like. This applies to everything in life too.
- You’re going to be asked to check in your bag and coat, hold onto your check out number!
- Wear something light and fitted, you want to be able to try on clothing with ease. My go to is a pair of leggings and a tank. Or a fitted long sleeve shirt.
- Be respectful if you’re asked to put your phone away.. usually there are no photos at sales.
- Don’t be rude to the staff. This might be a no brainer but the more polite you are to the staff, the more likely they are to help you in a sea of arms and loud voices.
- Don’t forget your wallet!!!! This is SO important. When you are in line to check out, you’ll have to return to your checked in purse, and there will be a line for that too. Don’t wait twice in line.
- Bring more money than you’re willing to spend. If you are a compulsive shopper, I strongly suggest bringing cash with you to a sale. It’s easy to buy a designer shoe for $40 or two..or six! Things add up very quickly and you can’t return or exchange so be ready.
- Have an overbearing attitude when you’re shopping. Higher end sample sales are filled with quiet, and otherwise “refined” shoppers that don’t make a huge fuss. Don’t shout about how great the sales are. Internally freak out and do a happy dance later.
This little Balenciaga Neo Classic chain bag is my best sample sale purchase to date. This bag retails at $2645. Drumroll please… and I got it for $299! Shoes are also from a previous sample sale I found for $60.
Shoes: Oscar de la Renta
Pants: Vintage <3
Special thanks to my new friend Michelle for good taste in Kosher food spots and good spirits. <3