Black short CS-426 Orchard Corset.
Everyone thinks of corsets as an ancient relic that women once used to strangle their midsections, however, women are still wearing corsets today but much much more comfortably.
Funny enough, the first time I went to buy a corset was from a store called “Orchard Corset”- the company and the store are not related. The little store is on Orchard street downtown. They carry a huge range of Orchard Corset brand pieces. It’s a famed store in NYC owned by a wonderful Hasidic Jewish couple. The woman that owns the store Peggy walked me through the do’s and don’ts the first time I shopped for one. More on them later because the experience shopping there was a true NY moment.
Oringinally I started out at a 25 (without a corset)- bear in mind this process has taken me close to a year and now without a corset, I am at a 24 without a corset now! Starting out at the tightest I could go I was a 23, now I am currently at a 22. This didn’t happen overnight!
Do you want to learn more about corsets but have no idea where to start? I highly encourage you to read this great 101 post by Orchard Corset. You can read more about corsets and the basics, here.
I have gotten a lot of questions over the past couple of months. Most of them involved my health. A lot of friends (and some family members) have asked if I’m hurting myself by wearing a corset. Anyone who is very educated about corsets and the wearing of one will tell you that you will NOT be injured wearing one, and there are many waist training benefits to wearing a corset. HOWEVER- it is not for everyone. The one way for sure to hurt yourself wearing a corset is to lace it so tightly that you can’t breathe. You also shouldn’t waist train if you are pregnant, or think you might be pregnant. This is obviously a big no-no, even if it is an attempt at concealing a secret. As with everything, listen to your body first and foremost. Only you can decide what is too tight. I personally love a very small waist, and extreme hourglass figures. For me, it is the hight of beauty. That doesn’t mean that I’m wearing a corset because I’m “obsessed” or have an unhealthy obsession with my looks.
One of my biggest reasons other than achieving a tinsy waist was my posture. Other than for the camera, I have horrid posture. It’s something I have noticed in the past year since getting engaged, but according to my parents I have always had pretty bad posture. My parents thought I had scoliosis when I was growing up, as they thought that might explain my posture. I took a scoliosis quiz and spoke to my doctor and it was ruled out, but I never shook the bad posture. I realized it most in a lot of my “candid” photos, as I seemed hunched over. That is just not going to be okay for my wedding photos and life in general. I even went to see a spine surgeon to find out more about lumbar spine surgery but they decided I didn’t need it.
Since I’ve been wearing one (and I should note that I don’t wear one everyday, it really depends on my mood) I have noticed a huge change in my posture. A corset helps support your back and place it in the proper upright position.
And since I have had zero issues wearing it as far as comfort or health, I’m going to continue to use it 🙂
My biggest tips for a newbie in the corset world
- Be measured if you can, either by someone that you know that also wears a corset or by a tailor if you have a hard time figuring out the measurements on your own.
- Buy a corset that fits your body. There are so so many styles. Be sure to ask questions and you’ll find a style that will fit your individual shape!
- Take. It. Slow. Wear your corset a few hours at a time until you feel like it’s “broken in” and then build up the hours you wear it.
- Buy neutrals at first! They go with everything. Almost all of mine are black.
- If you’re serious about training, go with underbust styles. They are easier to wear and remove (in my opinion).
- Listen to your body. If you don’t feel well, don’t wear it. If you’re queasy, don’t wear it. If you don’t want to wear it anymore- don’t wear it!!!
- Don’t expect results overnight. I edited out the things in my diet I knew that weren’t good for me, and I go to the gym regularly, which does help tremendously.
Stayed tuned for more on corsets! xx