Living in New York, I often make the joke that anyone that lives here needs therapy. The constant bustle (that I love), competition, life, and general anxieties- they all add up! Which got me thinking about self care tips that I use all the time and throwing a next level bath might just be the self care you need to try.
Browsing through Pintrest ages ago, I stumbled upon drawn baths with different ingredients to remedy an anxious mind. I am definitely someone with sore muscles and an anxious mind more often than I’d like. Having a wedding in two months definitely adds to that. 🙂
Common additions to a drawn bath include:
- Epsom salt (almost ubiquitous with bath time in the beauty industry now)
- Baking Soda (I’ve been reading this is great for PH balance..I’m not entirely sure but my skin is always extra soft with a cup or a half a cup added)
- Rose Petals (pretty and always give a subtle scent- don’t buy new stems!! Use leftover petals from dead flowers around the house)
- Essential oils, favourites include lavender, grapefruit, mint and more! 10 drops should do it!
- Oatmeal (I usually just use this for very dry skin-or in the case of my fiancé who accidentally sprayed a product he’s allergic to- for hives)
- Fresh herbs (I love rosemary, and mint in my baths!
You’re probably wondering what you should do once you draw the bath. Well, I usually marinate for at leas ten to fifteen minutes. It does wonders if you have been having a hard time getting to sleep, and does more than you can imagine to quiet racing thoughts. I don’t really believe in measuring to an exact science for baths. I actually don’t buy anything except epsom salts specially for my baths. I normally just save bits and bobs of citrus, ends of ginger, small bits of fresh herbs, and save dead rose petals for just this occasion!
Bonus tip: hate having to clean up the tub but you still love a good soak? Take a stocking and cut the “foot” off, leave extra room. Add all your ingredients into the “bath sock” and tie. Toss into the running hot water and víola! Mess free and quick bathing. And for the love of all that is good, use a bath sock for oatmeal baths!!!
Other great additions for a magical bathing experience: favourite candle, Netflix, a glass of Prosecco, strawberries, and a soft fluffy towel.
Whatever you decide to do for your own self care, it’s extremely important to take time out of your day to clear your mind and heal your body. I simply suggest this because it’s easy to toss together saved bits from the week, and totally decompress for twenty or so minutes. I always feel like a brand new person once I emerge. <3