There are so many blog posts and magazine articles about things that brides are TIRED of hearing but there are also things that Bride’s adore hearing! Here are my top ten things that Brides love hearing!
- “I am SO happy for you!!” Obvious but it still feels amazing to revel in your joy with a friend or someone you’ve never met.
- “You and _____ make such a wonderful couple. I know how much you love each other.” (This is what the entire wedding should be about, how much you truly love one another. I love it when people remind me they see it too!)
- “How is work/school/sport?” (It might sound strange but sometimes I just don’t want to talk about my wedding. I know. Totally nuts. It can be easy to forget that there is more to life than weddings when you’re about to have one. I always appreciate when anyone asks how the REST of my life is coming along!)
- “What can I do to help?” (Being a bride is extremely overwhelming at times, and even though she probably won’t take up your offer to help it feels good to know someone cares enough to ask. <3 )
- “Would you like me to come to your _____ appointment with you?” (This is one of my favourite things anyone can say lately because there are so many meetings, appointments, fittings etc. and especially when family isn’t close, having friends around for support means the world!)
- “Where are you registered?” 😉 (Self explanatory)
- “I can’t wait to be part of your special day!”
- “I love your choice of ______! It’s so beautiful and unique!” (Even though a bride is confident in her personal touches for her wedding, it still feelings ah-mazing when someone else recognizes all the extra effort you put in!)
- “I know of a great app/site/person that can do ____ for less!” (Everyone knows how incredibly expensive weddings are/can be, and if someone finds a great deal and wants to share their tips and tricks with you- it’s even better!)
- “I wish and pray for a long life of happiness together”. (This is the thing that can bring a tear to my eye no matter who says it. Giving your well wishes to a couple who is about to embark on a new journey together is truly the greatest gift you can ever give a couple.) <3
Shoes: SOMA link here https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShopSoma?ref=pr_shop_more :))
Photo by Andrew Morales/WWD
I wore this particular outfit to Naeem Khan, which was the show I was most excited for this season. I’ve been very excited to see his work for this year so I wanted to put together something special to wear that day. I take a lot of care in what I choose to wear; always ensuring my entire look fits together and describes how I am feeling in that moment. I carefully hand select the vintage pieces I find, restore them to good health, and wear them with pride. The morning before the show, I even made a special appointment with my good friend Heather Schnell to curl my hair in a retro style.
After the show I had asked the lovely couple next to me to take my photo – which they were kind enough to do – even complimenting my outfit in the process. Which is why, during their quick snap, I was so surprised to hear from behind me:
“Wow. That girl looks like vintage furniture. I guess everything gets recycled.”
Photo by Denton Taylor
Fashion is all about expressing yourself. If and when you dislike something that someone else is wearing – and it will happen – it’s important to remember that the things you say are not just harmful, they are rude. I said nothing while my outfit I had worked on for weeks was torn apart in seconds. I knew I felt good in what I was wearing and I wasn’t about to feel bad about it because someone else thought it resembled “furniture.”
Photo by Denton Taylor 🙂
So here’s to all the women who choose to wear colour instead of the ubiquitous NYC black, and for stepping out bravely in something totally unexpected.
Here’s to the women that choose not to follow every trend; that wear what makes them feel their absolute best and reflect what they feel. Not what everyone else is choosing to embrace.
This NYFW I learned that when you stay true to yourself and your personal style, wonderful things can happen. After all, fashion is all about expressing yourself. Even if you decide next season to go as a shag carpet.
Thank you for noticing my personal style WWD.
CAPE: Vintage 60’s
FAUX FUR: Imposter 4 U
YELLOW CARDIGAN: Vintage 50’s Cheerleader
DRESS: Vintage 70’s
DRESS 2: Glittery Topshop
BEADED HANDBAG: Vintage (date being researched)
SPECIAL THANKS TO HEATHER SCHNELL XX
I had the pleasure of going to The Club by DM for a wash and blow dry. My good friend Scarlett organized the whole event and I met some wonderful ladies who blog! I was greeted right away and had a mega luxurious wash. Is there anything more delicious than having your hair washed and styled for you? I think it’s such a treat. The DM team used Cloud 9 to wash and style my hair and it looked (and smelled!!) amazing! Here are the results…
Thank you so much The Club by DM for such a relaxing (and wonderful) experience! Be sure to stop by and give them a try- three minute walk from the A or C train 😉
COAT: Vintage Mink
SWEATER: Vintage Milly
PANTS: Ann Taylor
SHOES: American Apparel
Funny enough while I was on my way to the spa, I found a page in my “Hello NY” book about Korean Spas.
Moving to New York City is a giant adventure, every day presents you with information you never ever knew about. Until I moved to the city, I had never heard of a Korean Spa. It’s one of the most magical experiences I have ever had in my life. If you’re like me, the idea of being completely completely nude- yes even your bikini bottoms- is terrifying. Wearing an oversized uniform with hundreds of other families and people sounds awful too. Except it’s not… View Full Post
I know it sounds incredibly biased but I really really have the best mom in the world. My mother is the sweetest, most generous, and all around best person in my life. This year for her birthday (a little early) I was able to help be a part of a surprise party her best friend Tara threw her! I snuck into town on December 13th.. View Full Post