Finding my bridal shoes was something that indimidated me constantly. I take fashion personally on every level. Being a stylist I take great pride in every detail of any outift. You can’t see them at all, so why should it matter. Well, it does. It matters a whole heap of a lot to someone like me who overthinks what shoes to wear to downstairs bodega. The shoes I’m was going to marry the love of my life in couldn’t just be any old pair. They had to be special. And just like the quest for my wedding dress, the hunt for the perfect bridal shoe commenced after the date was set. View Full Post
It’s been exactly one month since I tied the knot! It’s the most amazing feeling being married. Now that the cake has been cut, the champagne drunk, and the gifts opened life has finally started to settle. I always wondered what married life would actually feel like. And I’m happy to report it’s a lot like my premarital life and of course with a kickin’ new last name. Bren mentioned to me casually about six months ago that he would really love a leather jacket. And thus began an insane quest to find the perfect one… Clothing Manufacturers also do their best to provide people like us with the best quality leather jackets. It can be quite hard to find the perfect one, but this is why there is so much choice. There isn’t only the standard black jacket anymore. You can even get red, blue or even white leather jackets now! It’s up to you to make that choice and find a leather jacket that is right for you.
View Full Post
Living in New York, I often make the joke that anyone that lives here needs therapy. The constant bustle (that I love), competition, life, and general anxieties- they all add up! Which got me thinking about self care tips that I use all the time and throwing a next level bath might just be the self care you need to try. View Full Post
There are so many blog posts and magazine articles about things that brides are TIRED of hearing but there are also things that Bride’s adore hearing! Here are my top ten things that Brides love hearing!
- “I am SO happy for you!!” Obvious but it still feels amazing to revel in your joy with a friend or someone you’ve never met.
- “You and _____ make such a wonderful couple. I know how much you love each other.” (This is what the entire wedding should be about, how much you truly love one another. I love it when people remind me they see it too!)
- “How is work/school/sport?” (It might sound strange but sometimes I just don’t want to talk about my wedding. I know. Totally nuts. It can be easy to forget that there is more to life than weddings when you’re about to have one. I always appreciate when anyone asks how the REST of my life is coming along!)
- “What can I do to help?” (Being a bride is extremely overwhelming at times, and even though she probably won’t take up your offer to help it feels good to know someone cares enough to ask. <3 )
- “Would you like me to come to your _____ appointment with you?” (This is one of my favourite things anyone can say lately because there are so many meetings, appointments, fittings etc. and especially when family isn’t close, having friends around for support means the world!)
- “Where are you registered?” 😉 (Self explanatory)
- “I can’t wait to be part of your special day!”
- “I love your choice of ______! It’s so beautiful and unique!” (Even though a bride is confident in her personal touches for her wedding, it still feelings ah-mazing when someone else recognizes all the extra effort you put in!)
- “I know of a great app/site/person that can do ____ for less!” (Everyone knows how incredibly expensive weddings are/can be, and if someone finds a great deal and wants to share their tips and tricks with you- it’s even better!)
- “I wish and pray for a long life of happiness together”. (This is the thing that can bring a tear to my eye no matter who says it. Giving your well wishes to a couple who is about to embark on a new journey together is truly the greatest gift you can ever give a couple.) <3
Shoes: SOMA link here https://www.etsy.com/shop/ShopSoma?ref=pr_shop_more :))
Photo by Andrew Morales/WWD
I wore this particular outfit to Naeem Khan, which was the show I was most excited for this season. I’ve been very excited to see his work for this year so I wanted to put together something special to wear that day. I take a lot of care in what I choose to wear; always ensuring my entire look fits together and describes how I am feeling in that moment. I carefully hand select the vintage pieces I find, restore them to good health, and wear them with pride. The morning before the show, I even made a special appointment with my good friend Heather Schnell to curl my hair in a retro style.
After the show I had asked the lovely couple next to me to take my photo – which they were kind enough to do – even complimenting my outfit in the process. Which is why, during their quick snap, I was so surprised to hear from behind me:
“Wow. That girl looks like vintage furniture. I guess everything gets recycled.”
Photo by Denton Taylor
Fashion is all about expressing yourself. If and when you dislike something that someone else is wearing – and it will happen – it’s important to remember that the things you say are not just harmful, they are rude. I said nothing while my outfit I had worked on for weeks was torn apart in seconds. I knew I felt good in what I was wearing and I wasn’t about to feel bad about it because someone else thought it resembled “furniture.”
Photo by Denton Taylor 🙂
So here’s to all the women who choose to wear colour instead of the ubiquitous NYC black, and for stepping out bravely in something totally unexpected.
Here’s to the women that choose not to follow every trend; that wear what makes them feel their absolute best and reflect what they feel. Not what everyone else is choosing to embrace.
This NYFW I learned that when you stay true to yourself and your personal style, wonderful things can happen. After all, fashion is all about expressing yourself. Even if you decide next season to go as a shag carpet.
Thank you for noticing my personal style WWD.
CAPE: Vintage 60’s
FAUX FUR: Imposter 4 U
YELLOW CARDIGAN: Vintage 50’s Cheerleader
DRESS: Vintage 70’s
DRESS 2: Glittery Topshop
BEADED HANDBAG: Vintage (date being researched)
SPECIAL THANKS TO HEATHER SCHNELL XX